Saturday, September 24, 2016

Why David Bowie? Why Now?

I am not alone in remaining perplexed over the loss of David Bowie.  "How can we live in a world without David Bowie?" are my exes words although he admitted no great love of following his music, his life and career.

I just don't know. 

However, I do know this: David Bowie was special enough to make the entire world stop turning and take note of his loss in a way no celebrity has.  Robin Williams generated a good deal of reaction but David Bowie... I don't know, man. I've observed reactions that range from disbelief to despair.  I've experienced both to some degree.  Great disbelief and perhaps not despair, but certainly a despondency I'd never expect from celebrity loss.

Something happened on the day he died:

A Great Light left our world.  We have his music but we don't have him.  It's not the same although I never met him.

It's been nine months since he left us and I still feel it.  Perhaps the loss of my kitties amplifies all deaths this year. 

Maybe, but David Bowie was gone 4 months before Sage and I'll never forget the day I heard the news on TV and where I was and who I was with.

I was no great follower of Bowie myself but I'm sure I'm not alone in attempting to unravel the Gordian Knot named Major Tom.

Which brings me to Black star, the Song and Video.  Do you have several hours for strange debate and occult overtones?  Overtones with subtle understones that weave in them implications that are serious and yet which Bowie probably never took seriously himself?

Sorta pisses me off in a way.

Stephen King, don't you dare write an enigma, fart and then walk out of the room laughing.

"And now I've said too much, I haven't said enough." --- REM, Losing My Religion

No comments:

Post a Comment